02 Jun Senior Scientist: Coral Reefs (DBN) (LC_573)
Posted at 12:32h in 0 Comments
Essential: PhD in Life Sciences + 10 years practical experience as a research scientist, preferably directly relevant to ecology & biodiversity of coastal reefs. Must have a good publication track record in ISI-rated journals, experience managing large multi-disciplinary projects, experience supervising post-grad students (MSc & PhD). Must have or be willing to acquire Class IV commercial diving certification. A driver’s license, own vehicle, experience towing a boat. A surf-launching skippers license would be advantageous.
Only South African citizens should apply.
Location: Durban, KZN
This Senior Scientist position requires a strong research vision and strategic ability to lead and manage a team of scientists and technical staff for the goal of research excellence. The role will involve leading and growing the Reef Programme by implementing and developing research projects & proposals and raising funding through successful grant applications. The successful incumbent will have extensive experience in planning and managing large scientifically relevant research projects. Experience in managing research funding and budgets is required, as is previous experience in raising grant funding for new innovative projects. The ideal incumbent will have a desire to work and participate actively in the field, will mentor, lead and motivate the research team, will network widely with external organisations and colleagues, share scientific knowledge by participating in relevant committees, attend meetings and provide scientific advice to support the organisations stakeholders.
Required Qualification: PhD in relevant Life Science discipline
Required Skills and Experience:
- At least 10 years full time research experience in the relevant field
- Proven record of R&D outputs published in ISI-rated journal articles
- Project & budget management skills in interdisciplinary research projects
- Proven experience managing & mentoring research & technical staff
- Previously supervised MSc, PhD & Postdocs
- Have or be willing to acquire Class IV commercial diving certification.
- Driver’s license, own vehicle & previous experience towing a boat.
- A surf-launching skippers license would be advantageous
- Essential personal traits: team player, adaptability to changes projects and environments, focused, goal oriented
Application detail Please apply online at
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted